I've found the following:
- John Spence and Teresa [or "Tracy"] Gartner were married in 1823, in Baltimore.
- John Spence was Sexton of the 1st Presbyterian Church in Baltimore for the period 1826 to 1844, followed by his son George W. Spence, Oct. 1844 through 1873, then George's son John B. Spence June 1873 through at least 1913 [publish date of the book]: "...a rare instance of the same position being filled in succession by father, son and grandson, for over eighty years."(1)
- When John's daughter Elizabeth Jane Spence married William Anderson in 1851, Rev. Backus officiated at the marriage. [marriage record]
- When John's grandson John Spence [son of George] was born in 1853, he was given the middle name Backus. [1st Presbyterian Church Sexton records/online book]
- The youngest child of William and Elizabeth [Spence] Anderson was named John Backus Anderson [death certificate].
- 1833 July 2 A child of Mr. John Spence, age 3 mos.
- 1844 Oct. 27 John Spence, Sexton 1st Ch.
- 1855 Dec. 13 Geo. Spence's child
- 1860 Sept. Mr. G. Spences child
- 1860 Nov. 3 Mrs. W.W. Spence (very suddenly)
- 1863 March 24 Mrs. Mary S. Winkley (Elder Spence's mother in law)
- 1864 Aug. 4 Miss Agnes Spence
The "child of Mr. John Spence" who d. in 1833 would easily fit within the range of John's children, most of whom are not known!
The 1844 burial record of John Spence, Sexton, was the first time I'd found a date of death for him, beside the estimate of 1842-1850 [his wife is widowed at the 1850 census]. [I've since applied to Green Mount Cemetery in Baltimore for an interment list of his wife, Theresa Spence, who died 1875 and is, hopefully, buried with him - if Green Mount was in existence in 1844!]
...to be continued
(1) A Brief History of the First Presbyterian Church of Baltimore, William M. Reynolds, Williams & Wilkins Co., Baltimore, 1913, pg. 64.